We solve a circuit by writing Kirchhoff’s Voltage Law in terms of mesh currents. This video covers the first three steps of the Mesh Current Method.
The steps of the Mesh Current Method are,
- Identify the meshes (the open windows of a circuit). Draw and name mesh current arrows in each mesh, using a consistent direction.
- Solve the easy mesh currents, the ones that pass through a constant current source.
- Write Kirchhoff’s Voltage Law around each mesh.
- Solve the resulting system of equations to get the mesh currents.
- Find the element currents and voltages with Ohm’s Law.
Created by Willy McAllister.